Tuesday 10 September 2013

The Starting Off Project - Week 3 : Foundation

I took a week off from The Starting Off Project Last week, as I don't wear concealer, so I don't know enough to provide useful information to a beginner. However, this week's topic, foundation, is one that I know a fair bit about.


What is foundation?


Foundation is a skin coloured cosmetics product which is used to create an even coloured complexion. The Ancient Greeks were the first to apply a version of what is now foundation to their faces. This trend, that often consisted of applying lethal mixtures of white lead powder, animal fat and other ingredients to the face, continued until the early 20th century, when Carl Baudin of the Liebzieger Stadt theatre in Germany created a flesh coloured concoction made out of zinc, ochre and lard to conceal the join between his wig and his forehead. Although the formulation of modern foundation has changed drastically over the past 100 years, the basis of theatrical make up still stays true to this original recipe.

Before: redness, darkness around the eyes, and looking a bit tired  After: even skin tone and luminous skin!

You can get a number of different types of foundation, each of which is suited to different skin types. The three basic types are cream, liquid and powder, but this article goes into more detail click!


What does it do?


Depending on the coverage, foundation does different things.

Sheer: 8-13% pigment. Will minimise the contrast between discolouration and skin tone
Light: 13- 18% pigment. Will cover blotchiness and a slightly uneven skin tone.
Medium: 18-23% pigment. Will cover more intense blotchiness, uneven skin tone and redness left by blemishes.
Full: Up to 35% pigment. This is very opaque, so will cover most things, including birth marks, hyper pigmentation and scarring.

The finish of the foundation will also alter the final effect, so you can get foundation that are a matte finish, a natural finish or a luminous finish. A luminous finish foundation will catch the light when turned and a natural finish looks like skin. Which one you go for really depends on how you want your skin to look.


How do you apply it?


Again, it's really up to you to find a way that you like. There is no agreed 'best way' to apply foundation, but the three popular ways are using a brush, your fingers or a damp sponge. I will generally use my fingers if I'm in a rush, but will use a brush when I am willing to spend a little bit more time on my make up. I feel I get a more airbrushed look when I use a brush; I particularly like the ELF Stipple and Powder brushes for foundation.


What do I like?


There are two foundations that really stand out for me. One is MAC Pro Longwear, which I repurchased for about two years. This foundation has a natural finish and lasts all day, which is brilliant if you have long days at school or work, and don't want your foundation to go patchy by 5 O'Clock. This foundation sets very quickly, however, so make sure you blend quickly!


Another one that I absolutely love is YSL's Le Teint Touche Éclat, which has a more luminous finish. Even though this doesn't last all say, it lasts a good 6 hours on my skin. What I love about this, is that it blends so easily and has a really lovely texture. It also has an unrivalled ability to perk up my dull skin, and make me look healthy and awake.



8 comments:

  1. Excellent Post and very descriptive...:) I love the Toucher Eclat.....I think over 10 years or more went into research before they even released it...It is truly one of a kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very special! I've never tried a foundation with such a lovely formula!

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I learnt a thing or two from this post, loved it! I took part in this project too :)

    Mintyessence

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! I'll check out your posts :)

      Delete
  3. I've never been big into using sponges for makeup, they simply don't work for me. Fingers or brushes so you can really feel how you're working the product! Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using sponges always reminds me of face painting haha!

      Delete
  4. Oo...loved the light to full coverage description :) very very nice. I love using my fingers using foundation as it really warm up the product making it blend nicely :) check my foundation post for #theSOproject hope you like it...
    xxx
    http://asqgenerates.blogspot.com/2013/09/starting-off-foundation.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you found it useful. And I will :)

      Delete

Leave a comment! I'll reward you with chocolate and love.