Monday 15 July 2013

E.L.F Stipple Brush: Review


A couple of weeks ago I treated myself to some products from E.L.F, including a new set of make up brushes which I have been testing out. Here is my first review on the brushes which will be about the Studio Stipple Brush which costs £3.75. Here's what E.L.F say about what the brush does:
This new antibacterial, synthetic haired Taklon brush is softer and more ansorbent and can be used with wet or dry products. Be a professional makeup artist and create a flawless look with this e.l.f. Studio brush! The layered bristles create a soft airbrushed look that's perfect for applying foundation or adding colour definition to cheekbones or highlighting with soft layers. Use this brush with any liquid or powder face product such as foundation, blush or bronzer to build your coverage from sheer to heavy.

This is a duo fibre brush with short, black hair-like fibres and longer, white more plasticky fibres. I think that this looks a lot more expensive than it is. The silver embossed writing is gorgeous and the ferrule (metal bit) doesn't wobble. I have not experienced any shedding with this brush either. I haven't got any other stipple brushes to compare this to, but I've seen the Real Techniques one in the packet and I'd say the E.L.F brush has longer bristles. 



I use it by pouring some foundation on my hand and then tapping the brush in the foundation. I then use a bouncing motion with the brush to get the product all over the face, at this point the foundation looks a bit dappled. To blend it out, I use very small circular motions, not applying pressure,  just using the weight of the brush. This brush isn't very dense, so if you apply pressure so the bristles will become splayed and you will just move the product around the face, rather than buffing it in. This is quite time consuming, so I wouldn't use this brush if you are in a hurry! Using this brush creates a really airbrushed effect and I find I get quite full coverage too.

This brush is quite soft if you stroke it over your face (that sounds weird, but you know what I mean!), however when I use the stippling motion it feels a little bit spiky, nothing major but it's a tad uncomfortable.


The Verdict

This is my first stipple brush, but I really like it. It seems to increase the coverage of base products and creates a lovely finish. However, I would only use this if I had a lot of time to spare, as you have to be patient in order to get results. I wish the white fibres were less prickly at the ends, but overall, I think it's an absolute bargain. Follow on Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this brand but I have the RT stipple brush and I love it! You're right though, to get the desired effect it can take a while! Xox

    www.thestylekhaleesi.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try the RT brushes! Loving the Game of Thrones reference in your name too :)

      Delete
  2. I have been looking for a brush like this, but haven't found one with a great price tag to try out, I will have to go and look for this now! Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I was really impressed with all of the brushes in the studio collection actually!

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to try a stipple brush but I've not seen a cheap enough one to experiment with. This sounds brilliant though

    Zara X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For £3.75 I really can't complain. It's great to see whether you get on with a stipple brush, if you know what I mean

      Delete
  4. Ive wanted to try this brush for ages! it looks really fab, may have to go and give this one a try now especially as its so reasonably priced!!

    Your blog is amazing, especially in 2 languages!

    I am pretty new to this...so would be amazing if you could go and check my blog out?!

    http://streetnumber44.blogspot.co.uk/

    Jess X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. Of course, thank you for leaving your link :)

      Delete

Leave a comment! I'll reward you with chocolate and love.