Saturday 6 July 2013

Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Skin Balancing Starter Set: review


Hello there. So this is my very first skin care review, exciting stuff. I have been using this set for just over a week now so I decided to talk about my thoughts on it. This is just a little set with 4 luxury samples from the Visible Difference range. You can get different sets tailored to dry, oily or combination skin. I bought the one for combination skin because I have normal to combination skin. I get a bit oily on my t-zone, forehead and cheeks and everywhere else is normal, apart from around my nose which can get very dry. This basically includes all stages of skincare: cleansing, exfoliating, toning and moisturising.

You get a little zip bag with the:-


  •  Skin Balancing Cleanser 50 ml
  • Skin Balancing Toner 50 ml
  • Skin Balancing Lotion SPF 15 30 ml
  • Optimising Skin Serum 5ml
I think these are decent size samples to get you going; especially with quite an expensive brand as it's a bit risky to invest in the full line and then realising it doesn't suit you. The whole thing costs £25 as well which I think is OK. The general aim of this group of products is to control oil, but not so much that the skin is aggravated, so that the skin is balanced.

Skin Balancing Cleanser

This is an exfoliating cleanser, but it isn't very exfoliating. The beads are very few and far between and I have better exfoliating cleansers in my collection. It also smells a lot like soap, and I checked the ingredients and it contains glycerine which is one of the main components of soap. I really hate the smell of soap, especially on my face! It also really stings my eyes (maybe because of the soap) so if you have sensitive eyes like me then steer clear! On the positive side it foams up quite nicely, but isn't that drying.


Skin Balancing Toner

I never really use toners because due to the nature of modern cosmetics, it's not necessary. In the past, toners were needed to restore the pH of the skin and remove residue after cleansing, modern cleansers don't change the skin's pH or leave a residue, so they aren't really needed anymore. I've been using it in spite of this so I can say I've done things properly. It's alcohol free so it isn't drying, and contains a number of moisturisers (including Sodium Hyaluronate and chamomile), and witch hazel which is an astringent. It has a nice smell and leaves my skin feeling really nice and fresh. I'd say if you really insist on using a toner, this is a good one to go for because it's not going to dry out your skin.


Skin Balancing Lotion SPF 15


Lotion isn't normally moisturising enough for my dry patches, but this is really lovely. It feels fresh and cool on the skin and sinks in quite quickly and left my skin feeling so soft, it also has the same smell as the toner. It is oil free, so definitely helps with the oil control.The only thing I don't like about it is that it also stings my eyes. My boyfriend used a bit and it didn't affect his eyes, so I must have sensitive eyes.

Skin Optimising Serum



This is designed to help replace damaged cells so skin a healthy glow and even out skin tone. You only need one pump cover your face because you are meant to use this before moisturising. I usually put this on at night time before my night cream and when I wake up, my face feels so moisturised and lovely. It contains a number of emollients and also whitening ingredients to help even out skin tone.


The Verdict

According to Elizabeth Arden, you should  be able to see a difference within 6 days, I have been using this for almost a week and I can tell that my forehead etc is less oily, with visibly fewer imperfections. I think that the combination of oil and alcohol free products is ideal for balancing combination skin. I just really wish the products didn't irritate my eyes so much because it does actually work. I think I will repurchase the serum and the lotion in the full size but not the toner and the cleanser.

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'll reward you with chocolate and love.